Watsonville, located in Santa Cruz County, is a diverse and agricultural community known for its strawberry farms, apple orchards, and beautiful wetlands. The city offers a more affordable alternative to some of the surrounding areas, such as Santa Cruz and Monterey.
Watsonville has various neighborhoods with distinct characteristics, such as the historic downtown area, affordable Adult Village near East Lake, the more suburban neighborhoods near Harkins Slough, and the rural areas with farmland and larger properties as you head towards Corralitos. Each neighborhood offers different housing options, amenities, and price ranges. The housing market in Watsonville consists of a mix of single-family homes, townhouses, condominiums, and multi-family properties. There are also new developments and custom-built homes available, catering to a range of preferences and budgets. In 2022, there were 253 homes sold in Watsonville and the average home price in Watsonville was $907k for single family homes and $819k for condos/townhomes.*
Home prices in Watsonville are typically more affordable than in other parts of Santa Cruz County, but they have been increasing over the years due to the high demand in the area. Watsonville's real estate market has been experiencing steady growth and increasing demand, driven by factors such as its proximity to Silicon Valley, the relatively lower cost of living, and its natural beauty. As a result, home prices have been on the rise, and the market can be competitive, with homes selling quickly and sometimes above the asking price.
WHAT TO LOVE
- Historic downtown area
- Friendly community atmosphere
- Beautiful natural surroundings
- A variety of dining and shopping options
- Outdoor recreational opportunities
- Agriculture and fresh produce
- Proximity to attractions and beache
DINING, ENTERTAINMENT & SHOPPING
Watsonville's historic downtown area offers a variety of dining, shopping, and entertainment options. Visitors can explore the unique shops, cafes, and restaurants that contribute to the city's charm. Watsonville is also known for its agricultural heritage, providing access to delicious fresh produce throughout the year.
WHERE TO EAT:
- Cilantro's Mexican Restaurant: A popular Mexican restaurant offering a range of traditional dishes in a festive atmosphere.
- Jalisco Restaurant: Another Mexican eatery serving delicious, authentic cuisine in a casual setting.
- The Green Waffle: A family-owned diner serving breakfast and lunch, known for its delicious waffles and friendly service.
- Second Street Café: A cozy café offering tasty sandwiches, soups, and salads, as well as freshly brewed coffee and pastries.
- California Grill: This restaurant features farm-to-table Californian cuisine, using fresh and locally-sourced ingredients. Their menu includes a variety of dishes, such as salads, sandwiches, seafood, and steak.
WHERE TO DRINK:
- Elkhorn Slough Brewing Co.: This local brewery focuses on crafting unique beers inspired by the Elkhorn Slough Reserve, which is located just outside of Watsonville. They offer a variety of beer styles, such as IPAs, stouts, and sours, along with seasonal and limited-release brews. The tasting room is a great place to sample their creations and learn more about the brewing process.
- Corralitos Brewing Company: Although located in the nearby town of Corralitos, this brewery is just a short drive from Watsonville. Corralitos Brewing Company offers a selection of craft beers, including IPAs, pilsners, and stouts. Their dog-friendly beer garden is a popular spot for locals and visitors to enjoy a pint and socialize.
- Beer Mule Bottle Shop & Pour House: Popular spot in Watsonville, California, for craft beer enthusiasts. This laid-back establishment offers a wide selection of beers on tap, as well as an extensive collection of bottles and cans available for purchase. Beer Mule focuses on providing a diverse range of options, showcasing local, regional, and international breweries.
THINGS TO DO
Watsonville, California, offers a variety of activities and attractions for residents and visitors to enjoy. Here are some things to do when visiting Watsonville:
- Visit the Watsonville Wetlands: Explore the beautiful wetlands, a haven for birdwatching and wildlife observation. The Watsonville Wetlands Watch offers guided tours, walking trails, and educational programs.
- Gizdich Ranch: A popular spot for berry picking, Gizdich Ranch allows visitors to pick their own strawberries, raspberries, olallieberries, and apples depending on the season. The ranch also has a charming pie shop where you can enjoy delicious homemade pies and other treats.
- Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve: Located just outside Watsonville, this ecological reserve is a great place for hiking, birdwatching, and observing wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Skydive Surfcity: For adrenaline-seekers, Skydive Surfcity offers tandem skydiving experiences with breathtaking views of the Monterey Bay and surrounding areas.
- Visit local breweries: Enjoy some craft beer at local breweries such as Elkhorn Slough Brewing.
- Aviation Events: The Watsonville Airport hosts occasional aviation-related events, such as fly-ins, airshows, and other community gatherings, providing opportunities for visitors and locals to enjoy various aircraft displays and learn more about aviation.