The Santa Cruz Mountains ("SCM") and San Lorenzo Valley ("SLV") region, encompassing areas such as Bonny Doon, Felton, Mt. Hermon, Lompico, Zayante, Boulder Creek, and Ben Lomond, is a beautiful natural escape from the bustle of nearby San Jose and Santa Cruz Cities. The region is situated on California's Central Coast in Santa Cruz County, and is known for its close proximity to Silicon Valley, where many people commute to work at places like Google, Facebook, and Apple.
The Santa Cruz Mountains offer world-famous coastal redwood forests, temperate weather, and a variety of outdoor activities including: hiking or mountain biking, riding a steam train through the redwoods, and exploring the many swimming holes along the San Lorenzo River. Although Santa Cruz is probably best known for its iconic Boardwalk, the Santa Cruz Mountains region offers a peaceful retreat.
With easy access to both the mountains and the sea, the Santa Cruz Mountains region attracts outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers. It's a place where you can disconnect from the busy world and reconnect with nature. Whether you're looking for a scenic hike, a day at the river, or a charming small town to explore, the Santa Cruz Mountains region has something for everyone.
SLV and SCM can be categorized into the following areas: Felton, Mt. Hermon, Lompico/Zayante, Brookedale, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek and Bonny Doon. 368 homes sold in this area in 2022 and the average price of a single family during that time period was $1.0m, while the average townhome/condo (there were only 6) sold for $550k.*
The homes in this area feature an eclectic mix of mid-century modern homes, quaint river-front cottages, A-frames, rustic estates, and everything in between. View Santa Cruz mountain homes for sale and other Santa Cruz properties with our dream team today!
WHAT TO LOVE
- Towering redwood forests, providing a breathtaking natural backdrop
- Diverse local businesses, offering unique shopping and dining experiences
- Quaint downtown areas, with charming small-town vibes
- Thriving art and music scene
- Endless outdoor adventures - hiking, biking, climbing
- Proximity to work in Silicon Valley
- More affordable real estate
DINING, ENTERTAINMENT & SHOPPING
The Santa Cruz Mountains region, located in Bonny Doon and along Highway 9 from Santa Cruz to Los Gatos, offers a unique blend of dining, entertainment, and shopping experiences. From the towering redwood forests to the quaint downtown areas, visitors can explore a variety of local businesses, vintage thrift stores, surf shops, museums, wineries, breweries, music venues, and unique restaurants. Here are some top recommendations for the area:
WHERE TO EAT:
- Cowboy Bar & Grill: A Western-style restaurant in Felton that serves BBQ and other American fare.
- Casa Nostra: An authentic Italian restaurant in Ben Lomond with a fun and lively atmosphere
- Trout Farm Inn: Serving up delicious soup, salad, and sammie's sit by the pool and grab a beer you will enjoy the local vibe
WHERE TO DRINK:
- Hallcrest Vineyards: A family-owned winery in Felton that produces award-winning organic wines
- Trout Farm Inn: Sorry for the repeat - but the Trout Farm is a local treasure! They serve drinks from 11 daily!
- Henfling's Tavern: A historic bar and music venue in Ben Lomond with a cozy atmosphere and great drink option
WHERE TO WORK WHILE SIPPING COFFEE:
- White Raven Coffeehouse: A cozy and quaint spot in Felton with delicious coffee drinks
- The Grove: Felton's newest bakery, featuring completely from scratch savory and sweet treats and gluten free options. Not to be missed!
- Mountain Roasting Coffee Company: A popular spot in Boulder Creek with a wide selection of coffee blends and beans
- Felton Music Hall: A live music venue in Felton that hosts a variety of bands and musicians throughout the year
THINGS TO DO
The Santa Cruz Mountains/SLV area, offers an abundance of outdoor activities year-round. Towering redwoods, picturesque downtown areas, and diverse local businesses are just some of the features that make the area a unique and charming destination for visitors.
The natural beauty of the area provides ample opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and mountain biking, with popular trails found in the Pogonip and Twin Gates areas. Felton Music Hall is a historic live music venue that hosts a variety of bands and musicians throughout the year, and Hallcrest Vineyards offers visitors the chance to enjoy award-winning organic wines while taking in the stunning mountain views.
Visitors can enjoy a meal at popular local restaurants such as Humble Sea Tavern in Felton or Casa Nostra in Ben Lomond, both of which offer delicious cuisine in a fun atmosphere. Sipping coffee while greeting neighbors can be a delightful experience at the charming White Raven Coffeehouse or The Grove Bakery in Felton.
For a fun day with the kids, take a ride on one of the steam engine trains through the redwoods at Roaring Camp, swing above the river on a rope swing at Henry Cowell, go fishing at Loch Lomond, or try the ropes course at Mt. Hermon!Whether you're looking to explore the natural beauty of the area, enjoy local cuisine, or simply relax and unwind, the Santa Cruz Mountains have plenty of unique experiences to offer.